August 5, 2014

Travel Tuesday: Savannah, Georgia

Wormsloe Historic Site

Sweet, sweet Savannah. This Southern city has such a dear place in my heart. I spent a whole summer there interning at a public relations agency, and I fell in love with Savannah's charms and culture. I lived right in the midst of downtown and explored the little nooks and crannies of the city whenever I could get a chance. Everything from the luscious Spanish moss trees to the historic mansions to the peaceful city squares makes Savannah one of my most treasured places to visit. Throughout my summer in Savannah, I learned more about what's outside the "tourist version" of the city, and that's what I'm going to give you today. Although I do have a couple stops that are written up about in Savannah tour books, I tried to focus on the places that I loved and were shown to me by true Savannahians - maybe places not quite as famous as The Lady & Sons or Wet Willie's. But that's what we hope to bring you in our Travel Tuesday posts, helping you find those places off the beaten path.

If you've never been to the "Hostess City of the South," you absolutely must get in your car and go. It's gorgeous anytime of year, but I especially love the spring and fall. If you're going in the summer, make sure you plan a day out on Tybee Island - about a 15/20 minute drive from downtown. If you have any more time, I suggest stopping by Bluffton, South Carolina for boutique shopping and beautiful Lowcountry sights.

Here are my top picks for your traveling pleasure:

River Street
Restaurants:

Soho Cafe | Six Pence Pub | Jazz'd Tapas Bar | The Olde Pink House | Alligator Soul | B&D Burgers

At The Olde Pink House, make sure you order the fried green tomatoes and the Pink Lady cocktail - delish! Soho Cafe is my favorite spot to grab lunch with friends, the atmosphere is so unique with its collection of art and warehouse-feel. Order up a bowl of tomato basil bisque and cool off with a classic Arnold Palmer.


Coffee + Treats:

Back in the Day Bakery | Leopold's Ice Cream | Maison de Macarons | Coffee Fox 

Coffee Fox was just a block away from where I worked, so I would always stop in for a latte or chai tea. Make sure you also visit Maison de Macarons - my favorite is the pistachio flavor! Also, Leopold's is a historic staple in Savannah, and their banana split sundae is pure heaven.


Bars:

The Social Club | Saddlebags | Savannah Smiles Piano Bar | Moon River Brewing Company | World of Beer

Savannah seems to have a bar on almost every corner, so there are a lot to choose from. I did find my favorites though, and I would always find myself going back to Moon River or The Social Club to grab a drink and sit outside. I would absolutely do a pub crawl though if you're in the city, so that you'll really find where the locals hang out.


Shopping:

One Fish, Two Fish | The Paris Market | Savannah Bee Company | The Salt Table | SCAD Store | Copper Penny | Terra Cotta

Terra Cotta reminds me of a mini-Anthropologie, and One Fish, Two Fish has amazing finds in home decor and accessories. I miss popping in every week because you always see something new. The Paris Market is another favorite - it's like a upscale vintage dreamland with delicious frozen hot chocolate and gorgeous decorations. 


Things to Do:

Tour The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist | Walk along River Street to take in the sights and sounds | Go on a garden and ghost tour | Stroll around Forsyth Park | Bike + pub crawl with Savannah Slow Ride | Visit Telfair Museum of Art | Take a photo of Wormsloe Plantation | Stop by Flannery O'Connor's childhood home | Have afternoon tea at the Mansion on Forsyth Park

Forsyth Park

1 comment:

  1. Tibet is a mysterious and holy place for most tourists. But if you want to know the real Tibet and its people, you should hire a tour company which can provide you best Tibet tour packages, experience festivals in Tibet.

    ReplyDelete