July 5, 2014

Feelin' Peachy

Driving up and down the east coast this summer, it seemed that produce stands and farmer's markets were everywhere. That's one thing I love about the South - the popularity of buying fresh fruits and vegetables right off the side of the road. Although I'm a sucker for a hefty bowl of strawberries or blueberries (and yes, I'm convinced I could live off berries), peaches may be my favorite fruit to enjoy during the summer months.

Thankfully, peach season is happening right now - they're in season from late May through August. I'm a little picky about my peaches, so when I drove up to North Carolina for vacation this week, I made sure to stop on the edge of South Carolina and Georgia - where I know the peaches are really sweet and juicy. When I head back down to the Deep South, trying out Alabama's peaches is on Katie and my summer bucket list, so we'll be sure to compare.

To celebrate a week with friends and family on the North Carolina coast, I made this peach cobbler with my momma. My sweet tooth definitely came out to play. I cannot resist this creamy, quintessentially-Southern dessert that makes me want to sit in a rocking chair and rock for hours.

Peach cobbler reminds me of my grandmother from eastern North Carolina, who would always have plenty of cobblers and pies on her kitchen table. It reminds me of my hometown church homecomings and pig pickin's. It reminds me of long days, sticky humidity and summer picnics. Finally, it reminds me of family and friends, and most importantly, spending time with the people I love. There's just something about peach cobbler that makes time slow down for a bit, don't you think?

"The cobbler is simple. It's homey, nothin' fancy. It cuts across socio-economic lines and is eaten in red and blue states alike. Its history is one of immigrant innovative spirit. A peach cobbler is as American as apple pie." - Kim O'Donnel, The Washington Post 
Full article here



Light Peach Cobbler

6 medium peaches, sliced
6 1/3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375. In a large saucepan, combine peaches, 1/3 cup  of the sugar (5 1/3 tablespoons), cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon; toss to coat peaches. Set pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to an 8-inch square pan.

To make the topping, in a large bowl, combine flour, remaining tablespoon of sugar, baking powder and salt. Work in butter with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and stir until flour mixture is evenly moistened. Drop 8 tablespoons of topping mixture onto peach mixture. Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and serve.

I'm also in love with this tomato, peach and avocado bruschetta - recipe from Love & Lemons. Katie and I will be serving that up along with this cobbler at some point this month!

To go along with the pretty summer treat, here is my summer wish list in peach-inspired hues. I'm especially adoring the hydrangea tea towel from One Kings Lane and Anthro wedges, swoon.

Kendra Scott Skylar Earrings in Coral, NARS Lipstick in Barbarella, Low Country Linens Hydrangea Tea Towel, Jonah Club Chair, J.Crew Seersucker Swim Top in Neon Peach, Tink + Tiger Silk Mia KimonoAnthropologie Taproot Wedges in Coral


Hope you all have a lovely Saturday,

Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment