July 2, 2014

In Our Kitchen: Spaghetti Squash Chicken + Pesto

Hello y'all, Julie here. To get things started, I thought I would share a recipe that's healthy, quick to make and best of all, satisfying. Since graduating in May, I've spent quite some time in the kitchen - testing out the waters in terms of cooking meals that are good for me yet don't break the bank. No longer can I rely on sorority house meals! After moving to Birmingham, Katie and I have tried to cook in as much as we can throughout the week, and thankfully, our meals so far have been a success. (Except for the steel cut oats I burned in the crock pot one of my first mornings in our apartment, but to your relief, that's not the recipe I'm sharing.) With all our new kitchen cookware and pretty dishes, it's been easy to get inspired to try out the recipes I've been pinning for months. I sure hope this feeling lasts!

As a lover of all things Italian food and former Florence study-abroader, when I came across this recipe, I couldn't help but try it out. Spaghetti squash is an ideal substitute for regular spaghetti noodles, and I'm convinced that anything that tastes just like spaghetti + homemade pesto on top is a match made in heaven.



Spaghetti Squash Chicken + Pesto with Peas

1/2 large spaghetti squash (I doubled the recipe so I could have leftovers, so feel free to use the whole squash!)
16 oz. cooked chicken
2 cups cooked peas

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds and spray with cooking spray and season with salt. Roast for about 45 minutes until the flesh is completely tender. Scrape out spaghetti squash with a fork.

Basil pesto (adapted from Food Network)

2 cups basil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts

In a food processor, process basil, garlic, and pine nuts. Add olive oil then Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine spaghetti squash, chicken, pesto, and peas over medium heat on the stove top.

To spice up the meal a bit and give your plate a little more color, I suggest adding some sun-dried tomatoes on top and pair the meal with a glass of Cabernet. This is perfect for those nights you want to keep it healthy, but you're craving...well, carbs. Delish!

Recipe via Domestic Fashionista

1 comment:

  1. Yum KL, please fix that for me next time we are together!!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete