September 2, 2014

Charleston, South Carolina


Happy Travel Tuesday!

I am ecstatic to write about my absolute favorite Southern city, Charleston, South Carolina. I just got back from visiting my parents in Folly Beach, only about fifteen minutes outside of Charleston. We spent the Labor Day holiday exploring town, walking down the cobblestone streets and dining at quaint, delicious restaurants. I cannot wait to go back in just a few weeks for a work trip, as every time I visit, I fall back in love with the Holy City. It's truly the gem of the South in my mind, and I will always dream of living there one day.

There is something about Charleston that I can't quite put my finger on. It's charming, yet sophisticated, as well as down-to-earth and filled to the brim with Southern hospitality. (That's a lot of adjectives, I know.) There's a soul and spirit to the people there, and between the amazing shopping, colorful homes and foodie hot spots, it's just ideal - pure and simple.

Here is a little glimpse into some of the places I love in Charleston and my perfect itinerary. Enjoy!

Shopping

Copper Penny | Mac & Murphy | Shoes on King | Hampden Clothing

Charleston shopping may just top New York for me. Yes, I said it. I love the quaint boutiques and local stores that are just Charleston by nature. Just take a walk down King Street and you'll discover great local shops and unique finds. I love the mix of high-end and more affordable spots (I can't say no to stopping in Charleston's J.Crew or Anthro).

82 Queen
Restaurants

Brunch: Hominy Grill | Husk | 82 Queen | Edmund's Oast

82 Queen is it for me when it comes to brunch. The restaurant is known for their crab bisque, which is so creamy and delicious you'll want three servings. Also, you just can't go wrong sitting in 82 Queen's patio with a patio in hand, enjoying all the greenery and flowers. For other brunch options, check out Hominy Grill for Southern fare at its finest. And for dinner, you can't go wrong with Husk or Edmund's Oast - just make sure you snag a reservation. Yum!

Drinks: Order a bottle of champagne at Stars or The Rooftop and toast to the evening!

Light Bites: The Grocery | Goat Sheep Cow | Callie's Hot Little Biscuit

Charleston has an immense selection of great spots to grab a bite to eat. I love just popping in to places on the street I haven't been to before. The Grocery is a lovely spot for lunch, and you won't want to miss out on Callie's when you're in town. It just opened, so be sure to stop in for an award-winning piping hot biscuit!

Dessert: Kaminsky's - for a chocolate martini of course.

Sights + Activities

Middleton Place | Boone Hall | 2nd Sunday on King | Spoleto Festival (spring) | French Quarter Art Walk | Explore Isle of Palms + Folly Beach | Picnic in the Battery | Charleston Fashion Week

Last October, my close college friends and I visited Middleton Place, a historic plantation and home to America's oldest landscaped gardens. We all kayaked on the river, surrounded by the lush Lowcountry - it is one of my favorite memories from our trip!

You also should explore Isle of Palms or James Island if you have a free beach day.  Folly Beach, located on James Island, has great seafood and is truly a beautiful backdrop for a relaxing day spent outdoors.

In the spring, you'll want to check out the Spoleto Festival for incredible music, art, dance and entertainment. Charleston is a hub for art culture, so be sure to also stop by the French Quarter to see amazing works.

Finally, one of my favorite pastimes in Charleston is to walk the Battery and enjoy the scenery. Colorful houses surround the park and the Battery offers a beautiful view of the waterfront. It is worth it to take a couple hours in the afternoon to stroll the harbor (or set up a picnic spot under the Spanish moss).

No comments:

Post a Comment