September 3, 2014

Fall Wardrobe Basics Every Woman Should Have

Although summer may be favorite season (particularly because my happy place is anywhere near the coast with the sun on my skin), fall takes the cake when it comes to fashion. Birmingham may still be in the 90 degree temps, but my mind is already on autumn weather - meaning boots, scarves and sweaters. I am already counting down the days until I can sit in a coffee shop and sip coffee with a scarf wrapped around my neck. I know, crazy I'm thinking about this now, when I can still be poolside in a bikini.

Nevertheless, here are my fall can't-live-without fashion buys. I mix and match these staples all season long, hence why the neutral color palette.

Untitled #4

1. Black jeans + black leggings. Invest in a great pair of black jeans - they are so versatile and you will wear them all winter long. They're easy to dress up with heels or down with flats. I'm a big fan of J.Crew's Pixie Pants if you want another option other than jeans. They feel like leggings but really do fit and wear like pants. In the fall and winter, I wear these things at least twice a week.

2. Cream silk blouse. Instantly look pulled-together with a silk blouse in a cream tone for fall. Swap out your summer whites with a sleek, elegant top that pairs beautifully with fall skirts and tights. Cream is so pretty with jewel tones and the color pairs nicely with prints of all kinds.

3. Cognac boots. A nice pair of boots in a rich caramel shade will never go out of style. I love pairs with a little heel that you can wear all day, comfortably keeping you in style while running errands or in the stands at football games.

4. Nude flats. Nude flats are a staple in the shoe department. I usually keep my pair in my car just in case I need to change out of my heels at work. They match EVERYTHING and are a go-to when you're running late and looking for shoes to wear. Find flats that feel great on your feet, and don't be afraid to invest. You'll wear them out.

5. Slouchy sweater. What better way to spend a cool fall morning than wrapped in a slouchy sweater? I love cotton blends because they breathe, but cashmere is a great option for colder temperatures. I usually stick with neutrals when it comes to sweaters, so that I can mix and match what I accessorize with them. Anthropologie always has a gorgeous selection of comfy sweaters - I've got my eye on a few this season!

6. Plaid scarf. A plaid scarf screams fall to me - I've always thought they look so chic. I love plaid in browns and reds, and paired with jeans and boots, you have the perfect fall outfit.

7. Light outerwear. Since it doesn't get really cold in the South until late November and into December, I stick with light outerwear that I can easily layer. I love J.Crew's selection of outerwear that is warm enough for chilly nights but light enough to not make you sweat if you're outside in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment